5 Things to Know Before Investing in an Add-On for Microsoft Dynamics
Add-ons have always been a mainstay for most ERP software applications, and the tradition of finding complementary add-on applications to round out your ERP solution and provide the exact functionality you need to meet your business processes and functions isn’t going to change.
With the Internet, and now Microsoft’s AppSource, it’s easier than ever to find add-ons for your Dynamics NAV and Dynamics 365 Business Central software. But don’t walk into it blindly. Here are 5 important things to know before investing in any add-on solution.
What To Know Before You Download or Buy
Before clicking “Download” on that app or making a purchase from an ISV, consider these tips for avoiding unexpected problems and costs.
- Licensing updates. Some apps only work on specific versions of Dynamics 365 Business Central or Dynamics NAV. It’s important to know these requirements and update your ERP license before adding software to your system.
- The cost of “FREE”. The word “free”is so appealing; how can downloading a free app be a mistake? Free or not, once you’ve installed an application in your system, it can impact other apps and cause data issues with your core Business Central or NAV system, even if you’ve opted not to use the app. Sometimes a simple “uninstall” isn’t an option, and now you have to disentangle your ERP from something that once appeared to be “free.”
- Playing nicely with others—problems between apps. Every app you install introduces new code, data, and setups that could affect other apps you have installed or setups in your Dynamics ERP system. You can try and integrate these apps on your own; however, we advise that you work with your partner, who has the expertise to advise you on potential issues and address those issues before they become problems.
- Implementation, training, and support. Who will provide these services to you? Even if an app provider offers these services or provides self-help, that support often stops with their app. When you have issues with how all your apps work together AND how they work within your specific setup for NAV or Business Central, only a Certified Microsoft ERP Partner has the expertise to provide overall implementation, training, and support.
- Maintenance. Make sure you understand the maintenance requirements for your add-on. You’ll want to know the full cost and what is included with regular maintenance of the product.
There are hundreds—soon to be thousands—of apps on AppSource. How do you know which ones to choose? Make sure you do your due diligence and take a moment to download our checklist for Choosing an Add-On before you buy.
- Login Error: Communication protocol mismatch between client and server
- Creating a Date Table in Power BI
- The Top Eight KPIs Retailers Should Be Tracking (with Formulas) for Your Retail KPI Dashboard
- Difference Between IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS And When You Need to Use Them
- How to Set Custom Color Themes in Microsoft Power BI