Microsoft Business Central File Handling Part 4
Emailing an Exported File from Microsoft Dynamics Business Central OnlineAnother very common scenario is to email a file instead of downloading it to the user. To run this scenario, you need to set up SMTP in your Dynamics Business Central database. This exercise assumes that the SMTP settings are ready. The overall process is quite simple and can be used for other scenarios as well. The Excel Buffer table has a function to save the output file to a stream instead of downloading it to the user. When we have the data in the stream, we can do anything with it, like storing it in table, uploading it to a webservice, or emailing it. Prerequisites:
- Dynamics 365 Business Central Sandbox Environment.
- Dynamics 365 Business Central should run from Azure Cloud
- Visual Studio Code
- Add a function to save the output of the Excel Buffer to the TempBlob table
- Add a function to email the content of the TempBlob table
You can apply this to both export to Excel codeunits.
Save the Output of the Excel Buffer to a Stream VariableCreate a new codeunit and set the table no. to table Sales Header.
- Add a function ExportExcelFileToBlob that stores the output in a TempBlob variableFigure 1 - Adding a function ExportExcelFileToBlob that stores the output in a TempBlob variable in Microsoft Dynamics Business Central online
Email the Content of the TempBlob Table
- Create a function EmailFile
- Create variables for TempBlob record SMTP Mail codeunit InStream.
- Call the ExportExcelFileToBlob function that we create in the previous step.
- Call the CreateMessage function of the SMTP Mail codeunit. Make sure to provide a valid sender and recipient email address.
- Add the content of the TempBlob table as an attachment to the email.
- Send the email.
- In the Export2Excel function, replace the line to open the Excel file with a call to the function EmailFile.
- Publish the app and test it. Don’t forget to set the SMTP settings first!
Figure 2 - Emailing the content of the TempBlob Table in Microsoft Dynamics Business Central online
- Login Error: Communication protocol mismatch between client and server
- Creating a Date Table in Power BI
- How to Make Measures Total Correctly in Power BI Tables
- The Microsoft Technology Stack – What It Is and Why You Should Care
- The Top Eight KPIs Retailers Should Be Tracking (with Formulas) for Your Retail KPI Dashboard