Microsoft Dynamics Business Central: A Sneak Peek at What’s Coming in October
For organizations using Microsoft Dynamics Business Central or for those looking at upgrading, October 2019 is a month to look forward to. While the 2019 April release introduced enhancements to productivity, Wave 2, which is set for October, promises to be an exciting one as well.
Microsoft’s Independent Software Vendor (ISV) ecosystem is made up of companies that offer horizontal and vertical solutions for Business Central. If you’re a customer with an industry specific need or a requirement unique to your business—which describes nearly every organization—it is very likely that you will tap into an ISV solution.
With that in mind, it is one of Microsoft’s goals to help the ISV ecosystem continue to expand and add new offerings. Wave 2 will help achieve that goal with:
- Accessibility. Performance, reliability, supportability, and security, to ensure service quality remains top notch
- ISV Acceleration. Features that make it easier for ISVs to develop solutions and streamline the move from Dynamics NAV to Business Central and bringing their solutions and customers to Business Central online
- Customer Migration. Tools that simplify the journey for existing Dynamics NAV customers from on-premises to Business Central online
- A Modern Client. Clients that now support so many productivity features that the Windows client is discontinued for Business Central going forward (the legacy Dynamics NAV client continue to be supported in the April 2019 update and earlier versions in alignment with the support lifecycle)
- Modern Developer Tools. The first version that does not include the classic development environment (C/SIDE), a developer experience based on Visual Studio Code with Azure DevOps, and an AL language that supports an extension-based approach to customization—which now supports developing large apps such as the base application from Microsoft (C/SIDE is discontinued for Business Central going forward; the classic development environment continues to be supported in the April ’19 update and earlier versions in alignment with the support lifecycle)
Following is just a partial list of enhancements available to users, administrators, partners, and ISVs:
- Cancel issued reminders and finance charge memos
- Carry line descriptions to general ledger entries when posting
- Use the Copy document function even when some lines are blocked
- Write larger item cross-reference numbers
- Add links to your navigation menu
- Add notes and links to data
- Enhancements to Excel integration
- Full keyboard shortcut support
- Personalize actions and navigation on your Role Center
- Powerful filtering for reports
- Switch between companies in your Business Inbox in Outlook
- Customize a user profile without writing code
Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available. Contact the upgrade experts at ArcherPoint with questions regarding upgrading to Business Central. We’ll even provide you with a free fixed-fee upgrade quote!