Time to Upgrade - Compare Custom Help in Dynamics NAV 2009 vs. NAV 2013
When you are evaluating the benefits of upgrading to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013, there are many areas to think about beforehand. One specific area to consider is Custom Help and the differences in in Dynamics NAV 2009 versus Dynamics NAV 2013.
Custom Help is provided by a consultant or NAV Partner and is tailored to the unique needs of the customer. If you are interested in learning more about custom help and the customer benefits and limitations, read my last blog, Microsoft Dynamics NAV Custom Help: Customer Benefits and Limitations.
In this blog, I am going to provide a list of differences in Custom Help for both NAV 2009 and NAV 2013 that you should consider when upgrading.
NAV 2009 Custom Help:
- To edit the Help files, you need a special editor, called a CHM editor.
- The Help was integrated with the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Windows client through HH files on Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server that provided F1 lookups.
- No context-sensitive Help is available for the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Web client.
- In earlier versions of Microsoft Dynamics NAV, Help displays in the language that the current client uses.
NAV 2013 Custom Help:
- You can edit the help files using a text editor, an XML editor or Visual Studio.
- Help is installed on a server that is web-based and can be installed locally or can be server-based.
- Help has context sensitive searching for the Web and Windows client.
- You can add as many languages to the Help Server as you require.
- You can set up a dedicated Help Server that all clients connect to, or you can choose to deploy customer-specific Help Servers.
Now that you have evaluated the differences in Dynamics NAV 2009 and Dynamics NAV 2013, you can determine if this is a benefit for you to upgrade to NAV 2013. If you would like to learn more about Custom Help or upgrading to NAV 2013, contact ArcherPoint. If you would like be notified when another blog is published, subscribe to Jamie’s RSS feed.
- Login Error: Communication protocol mismatch between client and server
- Creating a Date Table in Power BI
- The Top Eight KPIs Retailers Should Be Tracking (with Formulas) for Your Retail KPI Dashboard
- Difference Between IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS And When You Need to Use Them
- How to Set Custom Color Themes in Microsoft Power BI